Do You Feel Invisible In Society?

Are They Listening To Us?

How astonishing that a recent Harper’s Bazaar survey found that over 70% of women over the age of 55 felt invisible in society?

Why is that? Okay, there are lots of products on the market that target the 20-30+ market but what about  ladies over the age of 40-50, is there no room for us anymore? Have we really become invisible? Isn’t it time that brands woke up to the fact that we are one of the largest segments of the UK population. We have disposable income. We are valid and We Are Relevant.

How crazy is it that there are only a few brands that are waking up to fact that the over 40/50s market is the one that should be targeted – L’oreal has just created a make up range for the over 50s with the help of the Helen Mirren and Jane Fonda. With the tag line “We Hear You. We Are Listening” Thank you for recognising us L’oreal but why isn’t every make up brand doing the same?

Are We Invisible?

Recently I come across a Huffington Post Survey which stated that only 12% of women over the age of 50 were happy with themselves? The other 88%t felt Invisible to the world (there’s that word again) My goodness me, that is truly shocking. Only 12%.

Excuse Me While I Hop On To My Soap Box

I have therefore decided that I am on a mission to change not only our own perception of ourselves, I think we are bloody marvellous, but societies perception of us. At the age of 40 or 50 We are not finished, over the hill, feet up (even though I do like to put my feet up) slippers on, curlers in. Adventures over. We are strong, independent, vibrant women. We still like to wear fashionable clothes, drink a glass of prosecco with friends, get our grey hair coloured in, smear a gorgeous new Charlotte Tilbury lippy on and venture into the world.

Personally I am not interested in the same clothing that a 20 year old wears, but I am still interested in fashion and love to explore new clothes and trends. I certainly don’t want to wear hair extensions (too messy and I can’t be doing with all that flicking and rearranging of the hair every 2 minutes) but I love having my hair done – who doesn’t enjoy the feeling of freshly washed, blow dried, highlighted hair? You can’t beat it. So, Hair Brands. Here is a novel idea, why not target women over the age of 40. After all we are the ones that would be willing to buy that wonderfully expensive shampoo, that elaborately priced hairspray that you have been advertising to death.

The Brands Out There Need To Wake Up

I also love make up but I don’t want the latest TOWIE, Made In Chelsea look (good grief no) I want to look like me, but the best version of me.

And. I want to look after my body, inside and out. I refuse to believe that you can’t look and feel fabulous over the age of 40 or 50. Some of the most beautiful women are over 50 – Helen Mirren, Kim Basinger, Michelle Pfeiffer, Judi Dench, Halle Berry, Golden Hawn, Courtney Cox, Angela Bassett, Joanna Lumley the the list goes on…

Personally l feel I am in the best shape of my life. It doesn’t came easy, I have to work for it. But anything that you want in life you have to work for, right?

So Brands, wake up. Us ladies over the age of 40 and 50 like to wear great clothes, like to invest in good make up, like to treat ourselves to a gorgeous new bag and we still love a natter and a girly night out. If you want us to buy your products, Don’t Ignore Us.

Do you feel invisible? Do You Feel The Brands Out There Are Ignoring You? Let me know your thoughts.

About Niki Wibrow

Niki is a fitness, health, and yoga expert specialising in helping ladies over 40 look and feel great through innovative and personalised exercise plans. Niki is a regular contributor to many TV and Radio Shows, and has worked with major brands such as Netflix and Matalan launching unique workout programmes for real people. Her celebrity workout DVDs are sold in excess of 500,000 copies to date.

Check out Nikis other blog posts HERE https://www.nikiwibrow.co.uk

 

 

2 Comments

  • Sam Lindley

    Reply Reply 31st October 2017

    Well Said Niki I couldnt agree more.
    Ok I am in my mid forties but I feel like I am still 25 and want to feel alive and like you said the best version of me. Come on high street start listening. X

    • admin

      Reply Reply 1st November 2017

      Absolutely. We are relevant and we are valid. I am on a mission to change the way brands target us ladies, and men over the age of 40. Thanks for getting in contact Sam

Leave A Response

* Denotes Required Field